Monday, March 10, 2014

Replacing Ge Dryer Heating Element



I've got a GE dryer, model DVL223EB1WW that is just under 6 years old. The other day it stopped heating on me. I've got it apart and I can see that the heating element is shot. I have not been able to find just the element for sale anyplace but I can find the entire heating element assembly. My problem is, I cannot for the life of me figure out get the assembly out. When I unscrewed the drum and took it out I saw that the heating element assembly is behind the piece, not sure what it's called, that the drum screws into. I can't see any way to get this piece out. Therefore I cannot get the heating element assembly out either. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm sick of hauling wet clothes to the laundromat and I'm currently out of work so buying a brand new dryer or paying a service guy a bunch of money for 10 minutes work is not an option. Thanks a lot.

From what i gather so far you removed the three screws in the back of drum.. You should have removed belt and reached in drum and hit it hard upward in the rear to knock out the ball in the soccket then the drum comes out and there is the element.. here is link with pics
http://www.applianceaid.com/wwf-howto.html

Thank you! When I got the drum out I was wondering if it was just a matter of knocking the ball out of the socket but I didn't want to risk breaking something else since I didn't know. I have not done it yet but you answered my question and the pictures helped a lot with being able to see how it should look. Will check back in with an update once I've finished.
Again, thanks a ton!

Ok, I got it all apart. I know I need a new heating element because the coil on the old one was melted in half and one end actually stuck to the back of the drum where it came apart while the ends were still red hot. Also, one of the connectors that supplies power to the element was burnt up and I will need to replace that. I have already replaced the dryer cord and the outlet itself because both of those also got fried when all this went wrong. Here is my next and hopefully last question: Can anyone think of anything else that may need to be replaced? And is there an easy way for me to check? I do not have a multimeter or anything like that. I visually inspected the thermostat, motor, etc when I got everything apart and nothing else looks like it is burned up or in any way damaged. I just don't want to miss anything and end up replacing the element only to have it burn out again because I missed damage to some other part. Thanks for the help and I will check back later to see if anyone has any insights and to give an update on my progress.

Check the plastic cup that the ball on back of drum rides in. If worn down too far, it will end up being metal to metal rubbing a groove eventually wear the ball off. Not expensive worth replacing. Put some grease in cup before dropping drum in.
Bambiblaster: When did GE start putting their name on Frigidaire, Westinghouse style dryers? I would never have guessed that was a GE by looking at it.

I would replace the heater housing therma fuse as well...Especilly with that much shorting goin on,...
Dave,
Something aint it... I ve run accross alot of those..
Sane with dishwashers some say GE ut are really Fridgidair






Tags: replacing, dryer, heating, element, heating element, back drum, element assembly, heating element assembly, check back, that heating