Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Baseboard Bullnose Base Corners



I am planning on installing new baseboard throughout my house. All of the outside corners are 3/4 bullnose. I am trying to determine if using the prefabricated rounded bullnose base corners is a good approach. Does anyone have good or bad experiences? Lessons learned? Tricks to making it look top notch? Thanks.
Also, I have several inside 45-degree corners where the drywall is rounded. There is not a true corner. Any advice?

I've done it 2 ways. Using the prefab corners makes it easy, but they are pretty pricey. The other way to do it is to cut a small corner piece, maybe 3/4 wide in back, that has a 22.5 degree angle on each side. The base on each side of it would also have 22.5 degree angles and when you put them all together, they round a 90 degree corner. It leaves a small gap on top of the trim, which isn't a big deal usually, but if you prefer to caulk and paint it, it's pretty unnoticeable, provided you do a nice job with the trimwork. A little tough to do for a novice, but once you do a few of them, you get better at it.

I'll second that plan. I just finished doing exactly that, using 5/8 width on the back (with 22.5 degree cuts). It wasn't very hard and came out looking really slick. The gap at the top is very small).
With a miter saw you can shave your pieces down (just a little at a time) to get a near perfect fit. Of course your center-piece is so small that you can't safely play with it on the saw, but the sides you sure can.
I didn't even try to nail the center piece. Once I had the fit I needed, I nailed the sides and glued the center in place.
Good Luck!

Thanks. I think I am going w/ rounded pre-fab corners (my wife likes them). Any advice on installing them? I have heard that you nail the corners in first and then fill in w/ the straight pieces.

nvisser,
What did you do at the corners to make the joints look nice? I am doing this right now, and wonder if I should not worry so much about the 22.5 degree angles hitting perfectly.
I assume that I could caulk the joints then paint and you would not even notice, but I would like input from somebody who has done it.
Thanks!

Why don't do you just butt one piece up tight to the corner, cut the other piece that butts to that one at a 45 and cope it with a coping saw?? One small bead of caulk and and it looks perfect. I caulk all my trim anyway.

General Lee brings up a very good point. Most trim experts do not even go into the mitre thing. They simply cope for an even fit. And, whether you mitre or cope, you still usually need to fill gaps. You can cheat and use the corner plinths to skip mitering the inside corners.
Outside corners? You would have to educate me. No one where I live has introduced such a piece to cheat on the angles on outside corners on baseboards.
Then, there is the issue of shoe moulding or quarter round? What are you doing to address that issue?






Tags: baseboard, bullnose, base, corners, degree angles, each side