Monday, March 10, 2014

craftsman-riding-lawn-mower-briggs-and-stratton-17



Hi there,
My mower is a Craftsman LT1000 with a Briggs and Stratton 17.5HP engine.
After starting my mower, it will run and cut for about 5-10 minutes, then it cuts off and won't start. I can crank it with the choke on and it will fire weakly and then cut off. Sometime I can crank it at about half throttle and it will run for a few seconds before it peters out.
If I let the mower sit for 30-45 minutes, I can crank it up and mow for another 5-10 minutes before it spontaneously turns off again.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Brent Paschall

I would start by cleaning the fuel tank cap; if it's not venting, the fuel will stop flowing. If that doesn't pan out, check for spark immediately after it quits; it could be that the coil is on its' way out.

Remove, clean and rebuild the carberator.
And no I do not mean just blow it out with some air. Use carbarator cleaner.

Sounds to me like the fuel is not flowing from the tank into the carb well. Check flow through the fuel line. If it's just a dribble, find out if it's the line, filter, or something in the tank clogging the outlet. Also see if it runs faster when you take the gas cap off... could be not venting as aka pedro mentioned.






Tags: craftsman, mower, briggs, stratton, 5-10 minutes, Briggs Stratton