Monday, March 10, 2014

Frigidaire Dehumidifier Drainage Issue



Good morning,
I have a Frigidaire 70 Pt. Dehumidifier, model #FAD704DUD, that has been working flawlessly since I bought it nearly a year ago. Technically, it still works fine to pull moisture from the air in my basement.
However, we have it set up to continuously drain through the garden hose connection in the rear of the unit. Two days ago, inexplicably, it began draining into the reservoir that needs emptying regularly. We didn't change anything at all regarding the settings, environment, configuration, etc; no one has even touched the unit.
Can anyone tell me what might have caused this automatic change in functionality or more importantly, correct it?
I can't find any clogs or faulty parts or anything and as I said, it is still serving it's primary function of dehumidification, so that's a plus, but I did choose this model so I wouldn't have to empty the bucket all the time.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have not see what this unit is like inside, and I looked at the manual and don't look like it's something you have to add on or slide into type thing...
I'd unplug the unit, and take the cover off and follow the hose hook up and something must of came undone on you.

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a shot. I was planning to do this as my next course of action but thought it would be a good idea to pose the question in case there was a fix that didn't require disassembly. Much appreciated!

The issue turned out to be a clog in the drainage hose. I guess enough airborne crud made it through the filter all at once. Didn't even need to disassemble the dehumidifier. Thanks again!

Thrasher......a very common problem and most people don't realize it. A dehumidifier has a filter that needs to be cleaned several times a season. It's a general filter.....stops large crap from clogging the evaporator. A lot of the dust goes right on thru and gets stuck to the evaporator coil. Since this coil is where the water condenses.......the water carries the dust to the drain pan where it turns into a mess. A few drops of bleach in the pan and drip pan area under the coil can help.

Thanks for the tip. I clean the filter on schedule. This particular unit has an indicator light that comes on when it's time to do so. I guess I assumed it was doing a better job of keeping solid matter out. I'll definitely try this to see if it improves performance. The good news is that even if it doesn't it was quick and easy to clean out the line and get everything working normally again. Much appreciated!






Tags: frigidaire, dehumidifier, drainage, issue, Frigidaire Dehumidifier, Much appreciated, that needs