Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Use Your Yours You'Re

your, yours, you're


I've seen several articles and manuscripts where the terms "your","yours" and "you're" are used incorrectly in sentences. This article will show the correct way to use your, you're and yours.


Instructions








1. The word "Your" is the second person possessive adjective, used to describe ownership and when used correctly, is almost always followed by a noun.


Ex: Your mortgage is too high.


Did you pass your driving test?


You won the marathon in your age group.


2. The word "Yours" is also the second person but it is a possessive pronoun and it combines the word "your and the noun".


Ex: I found this wallet, is it yours? (I found this wallet, is it your wallet?) The term "yours" combines your and wallet.


I have my passport and here is yours. (I have my passport and here is your passport).


3. The word "You're" is a contraction for "you" and the verb "are" (you are).


Ex: You're late. (You are late).








You are missing a tooth. (You're missing a tooth).


Do not write "your welcome" or "your right". It should be written "You are welcome" or "you're welcome". Similarly, it is "you are right or you're right".

Tags: found this, found this wallet, have passport, have passport here, missing tooth, passport here