Monday, July 2, 2012

Write A College Biography

Convincing colleges why you're a good candidate for acceptance requires a centrally focused biography that stands out among others.








Getting accepted into college can be a struggle for the unprepared. For this reason, learning craft a well-written autobiography for your prospective colleges is an invaluable skill. A college biography convinces colleges to accept you into their school over thousands of other applicants. To write a college biography that stands out, write with a clear focus that captures the attention of the school.


Instructions


1. Choose a focus on which to base your paper. Your focus may include life-changing episodes which have shaped you into the person you are today. The focus should span most of your life and describe how you changed for the better. For example, think of a childhood memory that can be applied as a theme to your biography, such as an unusual birth circumstance, a near death experience or the environment where you grew up.


2. Write the introduction to your college biography beginning with an attention-grabbing statement that sets the tone of your biography. For instance, if your focus is life-changing events, include a true statement such as: "When I was born, the doctors misplaced their faith, believing my frail 3-pound body incapable of survival." Develop your attention grabbing statement within the first paragraph, and then transition to the body of the biography.


3. Draft the body of your autobiography as unified as possible. Stay on topic throughout the essay and provide relevant and pertinent information as to why you are a prime candidate for college acceptance. Develop your biography by marking turning points in your life as a result of your life-changing experience, such as: "I faced character-defining decisions of deciding between acceptance by my peers, skipping school and running the streets or making something of myself and keeping my head in the books. I chose the books." Discuss what impact your decision had on you at that moment and how you overcame obstacles.








4. Conclude with a powerful statement relating back to your introduction. Your final paragraph hammers in the point of the whole biography. It should show an irrefutable change in your character for the better due to your life-changing event. For instance, briefly recount each point in your essay and offer a final statement relating back to your beginning statement, such as, "At birth, I was physically small, weak and fragile -- fragile enough to have my life dismissed -- but I never gave up. To this day I still show that same unwavering courage no matter how small I may be against gigantic odds."


5. Edit the biography for grammar and cohesiveness. Use active verbs not passive verbs. For example, "When I was refused the position, I created my own business," is better than, "Upon learning I would not have the job, I decided it would be best to start my own business and hire myself."

Tags: college biography, your biography, back your, biography that, biography that stands, Develop your